The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Grand Flag, Indeed. . .

Retirement affords one with the gift of time!
For many years, 
I've wanted to do something "more" for Flag Day!

This year, On Crooked Creek,
I'm paying tribute to our Grand Old Flag 
along with honoring two of my former students 
now serving in the U. S. Marine Corp.



I've chosen the Entry Hall On Crooked Creek
for A Grand Old Flag themed vignette.



I began by decorating my Victorian chalkboard
with the Red, White and Blue and a phrase dear to my heart
from the lyrics to You're  A Grand Old Flag.



Red and white gingham checked ribbon, 
blue faux hydrangeas and a 4~inch American Flag 
greet our family and friends upon arrival On Crooked Creek



To set the tone for this Flag Day vignette, 
I angled a small American Flag with a slight drape.

Then, I placed my white lidded urns
atop the flag to ground the vignette.



Since both of my students photos are the same size,
I chose "Mr. Ed's" copy of Book Of Worship For U.S. Forces,
as a riser to vary the heights.  

A vintage cream ware USA vase 
holds an arrangement of red faux hydrangeas
and three 4~inch U.S. American Flags.



Having recently received my male students photo
upon his graduation from Boot Camp, 
a quick shopping trip was needed to find a suitable frame.


Using a beaded napkin ring,
I added a decorative touch to the sconces.



The photo above is an heirloom from "Mr. Ed's" Grandmother.


I adore how the couple 'giving thanks' for their bountiful harvest
looks down upon my students photos.



For an added touch of blue, I place an acrylic paperweight 
next to the vintage counter check holder.


This is the view of A Grand Old Flag tribute On Crooked Creek 
as you enter from the Kitchen to the Entry Hall.

A visual reminder for me to pray daily for


Matthew Bradley, my favorite male U. S. Marine. . .



and for Kaley Binford, my favorite female U.S. Marine. . .




as they serve our Country striving daily to make this 
"The home of the free and the brave",
under A Grand Flag, Indeed. . .


Until next time. . .




No comments: