The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Bird Observations. . .

Winter arrived late on the Prairie,
but arrive it did with all its beauty and glorious views!!!



So~o~o~
I set up a bird observation tablescape
On Crooked Creek for "Mr. Ed" and I to enjoy
 during our meal times.



This angle allows us both 
to watch all the antics of our fine~feathered
friends at the bird feeder!



Taking a clue from the birds,
I layered. . .
I fluffed. . .
I layered some more. . .
I embellished. . .
until I had this tablescape just right!



Come along. . .
and I show you how I accomplished our bird observation
step ~ by ~ step!

* * * * * Tutorial * * * * * 

Layering ~

I began with my creamy ivory rose damask circular table cloth.
The shimmering stripes and embossed roses 
add an air of elegance to our everyday table covering!




Next, I added a plain, white linen rectangular tablecloth 
with a fagot hem placed at an angle!



Then, I topped off both
with a white square table topper with intricate 
open crochet and fagot hem.



Exquisite is the delicate crochet inlay!











Fluffing ~

Shopping in Studio One,
I re~located the floral arrangement
to the dining room table.



Next, I brought in the white lacy birds on pedestals. . .



added a lidded sugar bowl. . .



combined with an ironstone petite pitcher
called to do duty as a creamer.
The hue in this pitcher mimics a Robin's egg!

More Layering ~

 Definitely time to begin the place settings! 

For this feathered observation,
I chose my Homer Laughlin Epicenter Aqua blue dinner plates.



The interior is a creamy ivory
with a gold banding around the perimeters.



Matching cup and saucer 
for our evening tea as we linger to enjoy the views.


Atop the dinner plate,
I added my Pottery Barn bird dessert / salad plate.















Everyday Oneida stainless steel 
is our favorite flatware due to its easy care.

Embellishments ~




Clear bubble glass stemware
resembles the icy scenes of the past few days!



Creamy ivory and white wrought iron napkin rings
featuring a bird on the branch continue the theme.






Ecru hued linen napkins with a fagot edging
are held in place assisted by our fine~feather friends.










As the birds add feathers, sometimes called down,
to cushion their nest. . . 




"Mr. Ed" and I, also chose cushions
as an added support for our backs. . .



and softening as we linger at the sights
at the patio door and beyond.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


After "Mr. Ed" had shoveled the 14 +inches
of snow from the deck, we again received a light dusting. . .


As long as the snow remains here on the Prairie,



On Crooked Creek,



so will our tablescape for bird observations!!!









Until next time. . .



                                    On Crooked Creek will be joining


www.stonegable.blogspot.com

Yvonne @ StoneGable for 
Tutorials tips and Tidbits!

And. . .

www.betweennapsontheporch.net
Tablescape Thursday!

And. . .

www.commonground-do.com

Debra @ Common Ground for
Be Inspired Friday!

Be sure to visit
for you’ll come away
filled with amazing inspirations
for use in your own home décor!

18 comments:

Phyllis @Around the House said...

Loved seeing your birdie post, so pretty the plates and the napkin rings are just the cutest, I too have a love of birdies..I did a post on our hummingbirds feeding outside the kitchen window..come on over and see them feeding, of course I live in ca. so no snow and lots of flowers...lol, but I have to say I do love snow....

Marigene said...

Beautiful linens...I love tables with any shade of aqua...looks like you have a great seat to watch the birds, too.
Hope you get shoveled out...more snow to fall Monday!

NanaDiana said...

Your layering produced a beautiful effect. I love anything with a bird theme and I LOVE those plates! We are getting more snow here tonight, too. I am so ready for winter to be over!
Have a great weekend, Pat- xo Diana

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I love your table with your birds and the view to watch the birdies. I like to take my coffee outside in the morning and watch my birds and hummers. Of course in So CA we have no snow.

Keep warm
Mary

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Pat, so pretty. Your little birds are all wonderful, and I totally adore the birds on your dishes. Beautiful tablescape. Hope the snow leaves soon, that is a lot. Hugs, Marty

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Such a beautiful table! Love your dishes, birds are my favorites!
Thanks so much for visiting...
Blessings,
Cindy

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Oh my such a pretty table! Love your layered linens. That topper is so beautiful with your gorgeous plates and glasses. I'm glad you get to enjoy it for awhile! I love a table by the window, and your snow makes for perfect views. Love those birdie tracks in the snow!

Art and Sand said...

Your entire table setting is lovely, but my favorite items are the bird napkin rings. I realized that I have two different items with similar birds.

Are they a recent purchase?

Connie said...

I love your plates and napkin rings . . . you certainly know how to set a pretty table :)
Connie :)

Babs said...

The bird plates are so pretty and look at those comfy pillows. I'd love to sit there and watch the birds. Happy bird watching.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, my goodness, what a lovely table! Love seeing how you've put it all together! Love your layering of the cloths. Now those little bird plates are darling and look at your napkin rings! I'm sure the little birdies soon. Love those little bird feet prints!
I'm thinking you're able to use Excel.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ?)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

SWOON! Your dishes are to die for, along with your centerpiece with birds and the bird napkin rings, adorable! Your layers of table toppers are great, specially the crochet one, it's really exquisite! Thanks for your sweet visit. Have a good week.
FABBY

Bonnie said...

Pat, you write so beautifully. This post was so endearing and lovely. Yes, all your linens are exquisite. I love your tablescape colors and patterns and so fitting as you enjoy bird watching together. My husband and I enjoy our birds from our kitchen too.

Tricia said...

What a perfect vantage point for cozy bird-and-snow-watching! I love seeing snow -- from indoors -- and I really enjoyed your photos. The aqua tones look so pretty with your PB bird plates!

Marlis said...

Pat.. ooh soooo fabulous. The HL plates go so well with the pretty bird plates! I love this table setting and thinking of you sitting there enjoying the birds is so very heartwarming. The snow really dumped this last week, but it's all gone now, except for some of the drifts in the yards, or where they piled it from the parking lots. The layers of tablecloths reminds me of the layers of snow.. so interesting! Great table Pat!!! xo marlis

Helen's Decor said...

Pat, love your tablescape and the birds are wonderful indoors and outdoors.

Thanks,
Helen

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I love how your nesting instincts carried over onto your table! Your fluffing produced a beautiful table perfect for bird watching. Love all the bird related accents such as the napkin rings and the gorgeous plates!

Dianne said...

One of my favorite pastimes is to watch the birds at the feeder. I love all the elements you put together for your beautiful table. Great place for a morning coffee too. Dianne