The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Fresh Corn Risotto!

I love to read!
Many early mornings On Crooked Creek are spent reading!

Recently, I checked out a cookbook titled,
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
by Award~winning Author Beth Hensperger.



Fresh Corn Risotto:

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 large Shallot, finely chopped
1 cup Long Grain Rice
3 cups Chicken Broth (or light Vegetable Broth)
2 ears Yellow or White Corn, shucked and kernels cut~off
2 Tablespoons Butter
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano~Reggiano or Aged Asiago Cheese
1 Plum tomato (optional), seeded and chopped
1 Tablespoon minced fresh Basil

Directions:
Saute shallot and rice in the olive oil over medium heat.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes,
until rice turns chalky and is coated in the olive oil!
Scrape into the slow cooker.
Add broth.

Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours!

Stir in corn and recover quickly.
Cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour!

Add the butter and season with salt and pepper.
Stir in cheese, tomato, and basil.
Serve immediately.

Serves: 2
Setting and Cook Time: HIGH  for  2 to 2 1/2 hours;
                                         Corn added after 1 1/2 hours!



Fresh Corn Risotto combined with "Mr. Ed's" marinated,
grill chicken is an amazing dinner menu!

 
TIP:
I substituted
* 12 oz. bag of Frozen Corn for the Fresh Ear Corn.
* Dried Parsley for the minced fresh Basil



This amazingly, creamy Fresh Corn Risotto
made ample helpings for "Mr.Ed"  and I for dinner
and we will have another ample helping for another meal, as well.
(Hint: Serves: 4)

On Crooked Creek . . .
Morning reading results in fine evening dining!


Until next time. . .

www.stonegable.blogspot.com

On Crooked Creek will be joining our sweet hostess, Yvonne  @ Stone Gable for On The Menu Monday! Be sure to visit for  inspiration for your own family's menus!

5 comments:

podso said...

Great post Pat! I would not have thought of using the crock pot for rice like this, but I would have used the frozen corn! Much simpler. Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

You always post the best sounding recipes Pat!!! This sounds soooo good!

Thank you for your wonderful imput concerning the displaying =store staging post I had. Great feedback and tips that I will definitely keep in mind!

bee blessed
mary

Babs said...

Pat, I just made risotto for supper tonight and I wish I'd had your recipe.. yours looks delicious, and different. Most of the time, if I add a veggie, it's usually peas or asparagus, but I like the addition of the corn, tomato and basil. I know it will be a big hit at our house. Thanks,
Babs

Martha said...

Love any kind of risotto. When I saw this, I thought it might be the fresh corn "risotto" that's really just corn and cream and garlic! Yum!

Rasmussen Family said...

I'm going to have to add this risotto with my salmon cakes I want to make. I came over from Stonegable link up and I'm excited to see what else you have coming up! I am always in need of new recipes