The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

NEW Brunswick Stew!

Normal January temperatures bring on the need for warmer winter dinners On Crooked Creek. This new recipe for Brunswick Stew using pulled pork warms the entire body head ~to~toe!


Photo courtesy of Southern Lady Holidays 2011.

This hearty and delicious vegetable soup makes enough soup for a large crowd!

"Mr. Ed" and I only made half this recipe and still froze two containers for later use!



Brunswick Stew

3 quarts chicken broth
1 (2 lb) bag frozen baby lima beans
1 (2 lb) bag frozen niblet corn
1 lb red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 (28oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup hickory ~ flavored barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 lbs smoked pulled pork







Directions:
* In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, bring chicken broth to a boil over medium~ high heat.
   Add limas, corn, potatoes and onion. Return to a boil.
   Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.

* Add tomatoes, barbecue sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper ~ stirring to combine.
   Stir in pork. Simmer for 15 minutes.



Remember ladies ~ this is 1/2 of the above recipe!!!


Our favorite soup bowls, On Crooked Creek, are these double handled golden ones.



An oval restaurant single serving dish is a perfect addition for a homemade biscuit!



While I was setting the table ~ "Mr.Ed" whipped up a batch of homemade biscuits.




His favorite of the batch is the smallest one sitting atop the others ~ made from all the leftover cut out scraps of dough.



I declare it must be a flashback from his childhood!!!

"Mr. Ed's" biscuits are always eaten with strawberry jelly or preserves. . . mine with butter or perhaps a drizzle of honey!



On Crooked Creek, "Mr. Ed" and I will be snuggled warmly inside when the seasonably cold January temperatures arrive. One of our defenses against the frigid cold ~ our NEW Brunswick Stew.





Until next time. . .

10 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

This looks so yummy, Pat! I LOVE Brunswick stew! And homemade biscuits, too...what a feast! Happy Sunday!...hugs...Debbie

Visits With Mary said...

Hello, WoW that stew looks good! I don't know how I got here, just been blog hopping..I've really enjoyed my visit. I plan to make a pot of that stew, for sure! Looking forward to stopping by again. ))smiles))

Barb said...

Hi Pat, my, what a delicious post! I love stews and soups so this recipe is perfect for us. Love your sweet dishes and the yummy looking bread, too.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Barb ♥

Miss Char said...

I've never had Brunswick Stew, with the weather getting colder by the day I'll be sure to give this a try. Thanks for posting Pat.

Babs said...

YUM!! I love Brunswick stew and now you've got me wanting some. :)
You know for it to be "authentic" Georgia Brunswick stew,it has to have squirrel in it? LOL
In the old days in Georgia, squirrel and pork were used, and sometimes chicken.
Thanks for sharing your "squirrel-free" Brunswick stew recipe. I like that best.
Hugs,
Babs

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, your stew looks so good. I've never had this before but I'm going to write down your recipe! Yum, my mouth's already watering!
I do believe your Mr. Ed is a keeper too! What a guy to bake biscuits and return those pine cones to their places1 ;)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Yum, yum, yum!!!

Save some for me!!! Your recipes always look so cosy and delicious!!

Sarahx

Esther Joy said...

Hmmm... Saw your blog title and couldn't help wondering if this is the Crooked CreeK I am familiar with in Boone and Marion Counties in Arkansas?

By the way, your soup looks delicious! I love to make soups in the winter.

bj said...

Yum....we eat a lot of homemade soups, stews and warm-for-the-tummy foods around Sweet Nothings. I will be trying this recipe, too.
Now, let's get down to Mr. Ed's biscuits. I pretty much need that recipe. I LOVE homemade biscuits almost as much as I love Mr. Sweet. :))) And, please tell your Mr. that I always have a small biscuit, too. My mama made my brother and I one every time she made biscuits...
sweet sweet memories....

labbie1 said...

One of my favorite foods! Yum!!!!