The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

First Frost. . .

"When the Frost is on the Punkin"


Just last week we had our First Frost of the Fall Season! Record low of 32 degrees on the Prairie. 


These pumpkins remind me of heavy frost I vividly remember from my Youth! We lived in a two~story Victorian home with no heat in the upstairs! How well I remember sticking my head out from under the quilt and blowing . . . watching my breath as a ethereal existence float across the room meant I had better scurry down the stairs to the warmth of the furnace in the kitchen!




As the softer side of Autumn continues On Crooked Creek, I set up this beverage bar at the built~in buffet and china cabinet. Cooler evenings on the Prairie often find "Mr. Ed" and I enjoying a cup of tea or hot cocoa.




My preference, most any Season of the year, is hot tea in the evenings. I have, truly, enjoyed Apricot Tea this Autumn. Blended in my Tea Drop Tea Pot ~ with just a touch of sugar to bring out the sweetness of the fruit ~ is so fulfilling at the days end.




"Mr. Ed" is a true chocoholic! His favorite of choice is Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate! Either hot tea or hot chocolate served in these scalloped mugs makes one feel appreciated.




These "grubby" candles are softly scented with aromas of Autumn. I was thrilled when I realized they fit perfectly in my vintage bobbins.  Just a simple berry candle ring in cranberry hues competes an Autumnal  decor look.





I adore unique pumpkins! Although these two are of the same soft creamy ivory, almost ecru, hue; the differences in their shape gives them such a pleasing visual appeal.









Whether you choose hot cocoa. . .




                                                        or hot tea . . .


I hope you're enjoying the First Frost in your corner of Blog Land
as we On Crooked Creek are this evening. "Mr. Ed" and I want to leave you with this poem from our youth.




"When the Frost is on the Punkin"



by James Whitcomb Riley






WHEN the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock,


And you hear the kyouck and gobble of the struttin' turkey-cock,


And the clackin' of the guineys, and the cluckin' of the hens,


And the rooster's hallylooyer as he tiptoes on the fence;


O, it's then the time a feller is a-feelin' at his best,


With the risin' sun to greet him from a night of peaceful rest,


As he leaves the house, bareheaded, and goes out to feed the stock,


When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.






They's something kindo' harty-like about the atmusfere


When the heat of summer's over and the coolin' fall is here—


Of course we miss the flowers, and the blossoms on the trees,


And the mumble of the hummin'-birds and buzzin' of the bees;


But the air's so appetizin'; and the landscape through the haze


Of a crisp and sunny morning of the airly autumn days


Is a pictur' that no painter has the colorin' to mock—


When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.






The husky, rusty russel of the tossels of the corn,


And the raspin' of the tangled leaves as golden as the morn;


The stubble in the furries—kindo' lonesome-like, but still


A-preachin' sermuns to us of the barns they growed to fill;


The strawstack in the medder, and the reaper in the shed;


The hosses in theyr stalls below—the clover overhead!—


O, it sets my hart a-clickin' like the tickin' of a clock,


When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.





Then your apples all is gethered, and the ones a feller keeps


Is poured around the cellar-floor in red and yaller heaps;


And your cider-makin's over, and your wimmern-folks is through


With theyr mince and apple-butter, and theyr souse and sausage too!...


I don't know how to tell it—but ef such a thing could be


As the angels wantin' boardin', and they'd call around on me—


I'd want to 'commodate 'em—all the whole-indurin' flock—


When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.



Until next time. . .

21 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

The pumpkins are so pretty and inside the cloche it looks beautiful. I love the tea cups such a sweet color to them and the tea set is lovely too. You're almost ready for Marty's cloche party! Have a great week. FABBY

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Pat, what a wonderful setting you have created for your evening refreshments. I think I am with Mr. Ed and really love some hot chocolate, although I do love me some tea too. Of course your pumpkin under the cloche just stole my heart. Thanks for the poem, so perfect. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me of that delightful poem!

Love your "drink" bar! We, too, enjoy cocoa or tea on fall and winter evenings!

podso said...

I'm not sure I've ever seen frost on a pumpkin but I sure love these ecru pumkins you have by your drink center! They are lovely and as usual you have arranged it all so nicely! I'm with you with the hot tea at night-but prefer without caffeine for bedtime (camomile is wonderful to help with sleep!)

bj said...

O, I do love your Hot Drink Bar, Pat.
I love all things hot...cocoa, coffee, tea. I have a cup of tea every night before bed...decaf, of course...Sweet Dreams...:))

Love your olden poem..I remember hearing it, too.
Have a nice evening and I hope your week is full of blessings.
xoxo bj

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

Oh Pat those pumpkins are gorgeous...I love your softer hues of autumn...everything really does look lovely.

Blessings Kelsie

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! I love that poem! Now your pumpkins are so pretty and love your set up. Now let's see...I'll have some tea tonight and some hot chocolate tomorrow night.
Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I just love your evening drink bar set up! As for me, I LOVE hot apple cider on these cool evenings! We haven't had a frost yet BUT the COLD weather is coming this weekend. We are going to a wedding on Sat. and I may need my winter coat!!! Crazy! Thanks for sharing your beautiful vignette. LOVE the pumpkins and especially under a cloche! XO, Pinky

The Vintage Chateau said...

I love your tea set, but it's hot chocolate for me!
Karee

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Pat, we haven't had a frost at my house....yet! We have come close and are expecting another cold snap this weekend. I have three plants that I need to bring in, so I have kept close tabs on the temps! Love that wallpaper! I have a Keurig and they have hot chocolate thingy's and my husband loves that! I did have some Sunday night because it was COLD to me!!

Stay warm! lol

Lou Cinda

Beyond Wandering said...

I would love to come over for a cup of hot chocolate and adore your decoration!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Pat, your sweet beverage bar vignette would keep me going back for more and more! I love all the softness and warmth this vignette offers! Beautiful!
When I was young we lived right outside of Edinburgh for awhile. Our flat had no heat in the bedrooms also. I loved sleeping underneath the big down comforters! But it is was hard to get out of bed... to a cold floor and room. I know exactly what you are speaking of!
xo Yvonne

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How pretty and elegant, Pat! Love those pumpkins! Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

I love the thought of warm hot chocolate on a cold evening, although the apricot tea sounds wonderful, too. Your tea set is very special. I'm sure it is a pleasure having tea from it.------Shannon

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I love your pumpkins in the pretty cloches looks Beautiful. I also love the way you have put this all together on your table !! The Idea of a hot cup of Hot Cocoa right now would be great. I hope you have a great weekend with your family Pat.
XOO Diane

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh my goodness the pumpkins are so cute!! You have everything decorated so beautifully!!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Pat...

We have already had frost on the punkin here in our little corner of Colorado. In fact, we had about 10" of snow a couple of days ago...our first of the season! I do believe that autumn is starting to give way to winter...not that I'm rushing it! Hehe!

Well dear friend, you certainly do have some pretty pumpkins at your place! I love that gorgeous cloche with the sage green base...very pretty! Your beverage bar looks sooo yummy! It looks like you pretty teacups are the same color as the base of that cloche? Ohhh...and what a beautiful teapot...tea set! It really is perfect for the season. You know, I just love apricots but I have never tried apricot tea! I must look for some. Can you recommend a specific brand? A cup of apricot tea sounds sooo good right now. Well sweet lady, thank you so much for sharing your autumn pretties with us...it was such a treat!

I also wanted to thank you for coming by for a visit. I always enjoy your sweet notes, my friend! Thank you! You and Mr. Ed...have a wonderful weekend!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari

Babs said...

Your pumpkin cloche is so pretty.. LOve the turquoise color base. Great idea for a beverage bar and yours is so pretty. You've inspired me to 'upgrade' my coffee pot area to a pretty coffee/tea/hot chocolate bar. :) Hope you have a great weekend,
Babs

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat and thank you for poppingin to see my trip.! Oh, you lived in Germany! You should write a post about living there sometimes. I'm sure it was interesting. I've cisited Germany a few times and just loved it.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia )

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I am spending the morning visiting. Got behind!!

Thanks so much for your visits!
Happy Halloween!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I love all your cloches, especially the ones with the pears. Every thing looks so lovely.
Barb