The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Problem or Something New?

On Crooked Creek. . .

Sometimes home decor begins with a problem. . .

Sometimes home decor begins with something new. . .




When designing a dining room cabinet vignette, one problem I continue to struggle with, is covering up the cording from the tabletop lamp.



I've used the same hydrangea, pomegranate and rose floral arrangement for the past nine years as a cover~up. While I adore the arrangement, I felt it wasn't in keeping with my softer side of Autumn.

 A creamy white hued urn from the Studio along with caramelized rust leaves, amber orange roses that mimic our gingersnap roses On Crooked Creek and the fuzzy sage green ornamental grasses add another textural element to the arrangement.





The still life print is something newly purchased @ Iron Star. Not pears ~ but definitely fruit. . . apples, cherries and a lemon. I adore the background hue in the print as it closely resembles the dining room wall color.



Camouflaging the cords with the new floral arrangement and filling the voided backdrop of the hutch with the new still life print sets the staging of a  softer side of Autumn vignette On Crooked Creek.



All the Autumnal hues of amber oranges, caramelized rusts,  creamy whites, honey golds, and sage greens are found in this quilted square table topper. The language of a quilt speaks volumes of home, softness and warmth. Angled to a point, this topper makes for a nice drape over the edge of the buffet.



The addition of a  petite red candlestick lamp with its red and tan checked lampshade continues the French Country theme. I adore the addition of an amber orange, caramelized rust and stormy blue beaded candle ring at the base of the shade!





Placing the lamp atop gold and red hued books closes the gap of the cabinet doors and covers the open area under the easel.









By angling the top book, the creamy white porcleain pears cascade around the base of the lamp and the corner of the print. I adore the amber hue that radiates when the lamp is on!




The final key element in this vignette is my heirloom silver coffee service. Notice the silver tray in the still life print? I adore how the repeating of the silver is another connecting element in this traditional vignette!




 Because the buffet extends narrowly along the drawer section of the hutch ~ I've added a cloche filled with pears atop my creamy white plate. The red clock ticks away the time of each Season much more quickly these days. . . or so it seems On Crooked Creek.



An overall full view of the hutch featuring its own softer side of Autumn.










 On Crooked Creek. . .

A home decor problem sometimes becomes home decor solved anew!


Until next time. . .


http://www.astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/

On Crooked Creek is joining our dear hostess Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday. Marty has been "under the weather" lately, yet she is still hosting her weekly meme. After you've been totally inspired with all the vignettes in Blog Land...take a moment to send a wish of wellness her way!

13 comments:

Martha said...

I like what you did and I see you brought home another something from The Iron Star! I've not been in a couple of weeks -- I'll have to stop by soon!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I know *just* what you mean!! Problems sometimes throw up the best solutions, don't they?!

Your vignette looks beautiful - very fall-like!!

Sarahx

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, I love your new arrangement on your hutch! Love how you've shown us how you've put it together step by step! Love those sweet little porcelain pears!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Babs said...

Pat, Great job of covering up the cord with a pretty vase of flowers and your vignette is just perfect with your softer side of Autum look.
Have a great weekend and save me a cup of coffee, please. :)
Babs

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

So pretty Pat! All warm and cozy! I love it!

I struggle with hiding those flippin cords too, but not a cord in sight on your pretty vignette!

Have a great weekend!!

Lou Cinda :)

bj said...

Everything looks so soft and pretty.
Yep, those cords nearly drive me nuts..I have lots of coverups, too. :))

Olive said...

Love the pears, both sets.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

This vignette is beautiful Pat!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful post! Love those settings. Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Well, you certainly have used a problem to your advantage. Your vignette is stunning. Love the picture and the bouquet and of course the addition of the silver is beautiful. Such a pretty hutch. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

labbie1 said...

I have always loved the colors of autumn and you have incorporated many in a beautiful way. The silver kind of throws me off, but the vignette is so pretty! :)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

That little tabletopper is just so sweet. I love your cozy home. Just my style..so sweet!

labbie1 said...

Ah Hah! Now that I know the wonderful heritage of your silver, I see the beauty of it atop the buffet! Splendid job of incorporating it with the warm wood! :)