The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunflowers In The Kitchen!

Sometime between Father's Day and the Fourth of July the Sunflower Patch On Crooked Creek is full, lush and ready for an explosion of golden blooms. I have to be the luckiest lady on this side of the Prairie. As soon as the Sunflowers planted by "Mr. Ed" begin to open in all their glory ~ those same golden blooms begin to show their glorious heads on the indoors, as well! 





Sunflowers in the Kitchen. . .

Arriving On Crooked Creek, many of the Country decor items began making a subtle change to a more Traditional flavor. Wanting to create a relaxing and compassionate environment, we chose to go with a French Country decor for the kitchen / dining room.

Let's start in the kitchen, shall we?



In every successful relationship, there must be a sense of balance. Such is true for "Mr. Ed" and I. "Mr. Ed" is quite the character ~ me~ not so much. However; when I spotted this ruffled, three tiered, April Cornell Sunflower apron at our nearby TJ Maxx, I couldn't resist! But ~ when "Mr. Ed" and I go shopping, he becomes Mr. Penny Wise! So ~ instead of placing the apron in the cart ~I put it on! YES, I did!!! Right there ~ in the store~ and pushed my cart over to "Mr. Ed" for his approval. Ladies, the smile on his face. . . priceless!




Linens have always been a weakness of mine. The sensory feeling of fabric gives me inspiration. These Sunflower tea towels were purchased in a Kansas Sampler store during our Kansas City Anniversary trip. I adore the vibrant red hue and the way it brings the same shade from the wallpaper around the room.


The Sunflower salt and pepper shakers were a gift from my Pennsylvania Pen Pal shortly after our arrival On Crooked Creek!




I purchased the matching oil vessel and filled it with dish washing liquid, instead. Appears that I need to refill it now!




Sunflowers in the Dining Room. . .

Atop the hutch hangs my favorite Sunflower print which is surrounded by the addition of a few faux silk Sunflowers.  



 I adore my wicker half~basket at the end of the dining room hutch. Such an interesting French Country design piece to place seasonal gatherings in for display. These faux Sunflowers are almost as lovely as the ones that grow On Crooked Creek. A vision to behold!


The Sunflower  stained glass pane was a gift of Christmas past from our son and daughter ~ in ~law. It hangs in front of the stationary patio door beckoning those Sunflowers from the garden to come indoors.


The olive jar holds silken realistically appearing Sunflowers. For this Summer tablescape, I chose brown scalloped place mats, my European wooden handled rustic flatware, golden pepper dinnerware ~ and my new April CornellSunflower napkins held with wooden brown and red beaded napkin rings. The addition of my huge faux pears will make the transition of the seasons from Summer into Fall.




This adorable Sunflower is hand painted on a piece of slate. A sweet gift from a former co~worker and friend. Memories flow over me each season that I bring it out for display. This year it graces our table. . . reminding me of the numerous lunch periods we shared in conversation and laughter!



While the Summer of 2011, On Crooked Creek, has been sweltering with triple digit temperatures numbering in the excess of 46 days ~ the  Sunflowers still managed to survive. The Sunflowers grown by "Mr. Ed" are now rapidly fading away; however the Sunflower decor will continue to thrive until the onset of Thanksgiving.


Until next time. . .

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat and what a lovely sunflower post! I'm loving seeing your kitchen and I adore that wallpaper! Your dishes and tablescape is so pretty! All your little sunflower touches look so sweet! Wish I had some real sunflowers as they just make me smile!
Thank you always for such kind words and you're as cute as a button in that darling apron.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Babs said...

Pat, So many beautiful sunflowers. You look so cute in your April Cornell sunflower apron and I love your dishes and tablescape. Thanks for your concern about our family in the storm. Not only did they have the hurricane but tornado warnings were out for their township, too. Yikes! We are thankful they were unharmed. Have a great week.
Hugs,
Babs

Marigene said...

It is easy to know you are from Kansas, Pat...I will be heading out to the sunflower patch on one of the county roads to cut me some of the wild ones the end of next week...I do love those wild ones!

Mary Ann said...

I love the sunflower story! They are so cheerful, and the apron is lovely!

Alicia@ eco friendly hmemaking said...

Oh I love sunflowers and all of yours look amazing!How great it is that you can enjoy sunflower things inside also!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I would say, you do have a thing for sunflowers...how funny about the apron!

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Pat, your collection of sunflower things is quite impressive. You have so many pretty items such as your apron, of course, and I like those cute napkins as well as several other things. Do family and friends give you sunflower gifts? I used to collect mugs with Teddy bears on them and once the word got around, it seems that is all I received for a long time. I enjoyed them, though. Shannon

Martha said...

I love all your sunflowers . . . and I almost bought those same napkins!!!! But somehow resisted (think I thought how FULL my napkin drawer was!) and the fact that I actually prefer solid color napkins! But I did love that fabric!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Beautiful sunflowers, Pat!

You look great in your sunflower apron!

podso said...

Enjoyed the sunflower post and all the places you highlight sunflowers! Including that great apron! Also enjoyed your closet organizing and Sunday afternoon cup of tea! I see a little teddy bear in the closet that is the exact replica that was our oldest's companion when a newborn! Sweet!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Hi Pat, we too have been suffering under this intense heat, and I am so excited about the cooler temps and rain forecast for later this week!! PTL!! Love your sweet sunflowers.

labbie1 said...

Having lived in the land of Oz off and on for more than 30 years now, I really appreciate the sunflowers. I do love the picture in the dining room and the stained glass. Should they just disappear, don't look my way-- ;-D
Just sayin'


The red towels are unique. I love red and would like to find some of those!

All of your decor is wonderful! I usually bring out my sunflowers in September--Wait! That is THIS week! Yikes!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Aren't you just adorable in that apron!!! No wonder Mr. Ed couldn't resist! Your table looks BEAUTIFUL and it is funny cause tonight I was playing with some dishes and had out 2 pear candles that I recently found! Your table is a beautiful transition from summer to fall!!!! XO, Pinky

Anne said...

Not much prettier than sunflowers! plus they smell so sweet. Love how you've incorporated them into your decor. And, thank you for visiting me today!

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I love your Beautiful dishes sweet lady. And your Gorgeous Sunflowers!! Who could ask for more Beauty then this.
Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape. Also your pray's for my friend Melanie.
XXOO Diane

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I love sunflowers....so your kitchen would be tops for me! Good thinking on the apron!!

Savannah Granny said...

Oh my, I love the sunflowers and you have done a fabulous job with incorporating them through out your home. I love the apron, and the dishes and napkins. I am gaga for any thing that goes on top of the table. Love, love those dishes.
Thanks for visiting and your kind comments.
Ginger

Anonymous said...

Oh my you are a sunflower lover! They are so very cheerful I don't think you can find a better flower,unless it's a rose!

bj said...

Well, no wonder he grinned all over the place..you look just precious in that adorable apron.:)

I love sunflowers but not as much as you do....you have some great ones all thru your kitchen.
I want some real ones growing so maybe I can plant some in the spring.

This has been the longest, hottest, driest, really tuff summer that I can ever remember.
I am so ready for wintertime.
xo bj

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi Pat, Such a darling and sweet post about you and Mr. Ed. :) Loved the TJMaxx story! We like to grow sunflowers too.
Your pictures were so fun to scroll through as you have some really sweet sunflower items.
Great post!
Donna