The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Chicken Or The Egg?




Dear Ones,
You've often read that ageless question, "Which came first. . .The Chicken Or The Egg"? Well, On Crooked Creek the answer would definitely be...The Egg!







Over the past year, I've watched all the Chickens, Hens and Roosters that come across my screen. Ladies, believe me when I say that I am thrilled you all love and adore your poultry. But having had the worst experience ever with a Hen, her Rooster and their Chick made me decide long ago, never~to~never go into that aspect of home decor accessories.








It all began with a stay at my paternal grandparents home at age six. They lived on a three~quarters of an acre place on the side of a hill in the outskirts of Kansas City. We visited them regularly and I loved my Grandmother. Grandpa scared me to death!




Grandmother had taken us out to feed the Chickens and gather the eggs from the Hen House. Cute little Chickens would run around all over the ground where Grandma and I had thrown out their feed. I thought they were just the cutest things! The Hens weren't in the Hen House when we took the eggs from the nest. No big deal. . . just take the eggs and put them in Grandmas apron.





The only place I had ever seen eggs in my life was in the cold keeper of the grocery store or our refrigerator. Gathering eggs was a big deal to this toe~headed six year old tom~boy. Did I ever tell you that my MoMa gave me a nickname when she married my Dad. Can you guess what it might have been? She told me I acted so much like him that we could have been twins. Dennis is my given nickname from MoMa. As in. . .Dennis The Menace.





While all the grown~ups were drinking coffee and discussing the events of the day, we children were urged to go outdoors and entertain ourselves. Playing hide~and~seek with only one other sibling soon grew unsatisfying. There was only one tire swing. Being the youngest, I always had to "wait my turn." So~o~o, I decided to go gather a few more eggs!





Off I headed to the Hen House. Of course, there weren't any eggs...Grandmother and I had already gathered all from the nests earlier that day. But, wait, Grandmother forgot those under the lamp!!! I reached under the lamp to get the egg, but man was it hot! I dropped it on the dirt floor of the Hen House and it sounded like a firecracker going off on the Fourth of July!





Inside the egg wasn't a yoke like those I'd seen MoMa break for cakes. Instead, there was something that looked like a tiny, wet, chicken. As I bent down to examine the broken egg shell and it's contents closer, I was attacked by the Hen. Ladies, I don't know who hollered louder the Hen or me. One thing I do know is that noise coming from the Hen House brought two males running to our aid. One was her Rooster, the other, my Grandpa!





By the time we were all separated, I had been flogged. NOT by Grandpa, mind you, by the Hen. She had jumped up on my neck and was scratching and pecking for all she had in her being. Her Rooster had come running to her aid and was on my back when Grandpa sent him into flight.





MoMa was NOT happy with my behavior. Dad went to save the  "chickens" from Grandpa's wrath, but Grandma gently cleaned my neck and put salve on it while I laid my head in her aproned lap sobbing away!




A Provence couple with Rooster and Hen!


A Rooster bowl from "Mr. Ed's" childhood!

A Hen creamer belonging to my dearly beloved Mother ~in~Law.

I've gathered the only Chicken, Hen and Rooster things I possess, On Crooked Creek, to share with your today. I'll be visiting with the participants of  Heart Of The Home Party ~ Show Us Your Roosters And Chickens , with our sweetest hostess, Shelia @ Note Songs to see what lovelies you all possess. Your visits On Crooked Creek will be like Grandmothers salve. . .healing to my soul!




Until next time. . .

31 comments:

Babs said...

Oh my gosh, Pat. After that I'm surprised you have any chickens at all. Your tablescape is so pretty and your Provence couple is perfect under the sun flowers.
Hugs,
Babs

Unknown said...

What a wonderful memory. My mom wore an apron so I know about laying your face in it when you cry.

Have a great week.
Kathy

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh what a great post!! Thanks for sharing. I love to hear about peoples childhood experiences with their grandparents!

Red Couch Recipes said...

We recently acquired two chickens (my daughter's idea) and when I told my brother he told me a similar story like yours, well, your was a bit more violent! He said he would never have chickens. We have enjoyed them so far and my daughter is in heaven. Lovely chicken collection and I love the creamer. Joni

Tami said...

Oh my goodness, what a story! I so enjoyed reading your post.

Have a wonderful day!
Tami @ A Girls Gotta Nest

Bonnie said...

Great story. Love your Provence couple!

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor little Pat! That must have been terrifying! I know you can probably laugh a little about it now but oh, I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want many yard birds at your house! ;)
Well, I love your figurine and that tiny little Roo at their feet! Thanks for coming to my party and bringing your Roos and Chicks and your story! :)
You are the sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

You still have some beautiful birds even in the face of such an experience! I can just imagine!! I will never get over seeing my grandmother wring a chicken's neck!! Dear Heaven it was horrific!! To this day I just cannot kill things....except for those ugly black grasshoppers....hate those things!!

Lou Cinda ;)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love the Provence couple! After such an experience, I will keep my fake chicken, but not eat one, ever!! I love them all, specially the plates. Lovely. Hugs, FABBY

Betty said...

What a story! My Grandpa had a rooster that would spur anyone coming inside the picket fence. I learned early on to stay on the other side.

I liked all your roosters, etc.

Betty @ Country Charm

Olga Poltava said...

I enjoyed reading this story from your childhood and seeing along the lovely photos you posted. I really like your Provence couple.

Miss Kitty said...

Thanks for sharing that great story and your lovely roos and chickens!

The Tablescaper said...

Too funny!

- The Tablescaper

Anonymous said...

Great day Pat, what a story,we also grew up with roo's and chick's,we(4 brothers & one sister)knew not to mess with a setting hen.I enjoyed this post,brought back some fond memories for me too.
~JO
LazyonLoblolly

bj said...

O, I was and still am a city girl. Never around chickens until I married Mr. Sweet. His momma always raised chickens and we had the best fried chicken at her house every Sunday for years and years.
I love sunflowers, french little men and women and roosters...they all just .....go together. :)

Sarah said...

Oh, Pat, what a story. I had no idea that chickens would be so protective of their eggs. Love seeing your special pieces. Hope it wasn't too painful to bring thee out. LOL

Susanne said...

Oh - thanks for sharing your story. And that little Provence pair are very eye-catching. Glad I dropped by.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Pat, I love your roos and chicks, they are all so cute. However, I loved the story best. Such an adventure and a bit traumatic for a 6 yr. old. Sweet memories. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

That must have been terrifying, I know I would have been scared to death.. lovely memory... hugs ~lynne~

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

What a terrible experience, I am scared of chickens and roosters-I will just enjoy the fake ones.I love your old couple with their chickens.

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenesp said...

I hope you don't mind but that is a funny story although I'm sure you saw nothing funny about it at the time. That reminds me of my Mom's chicken story about how she accidentally stepped on her Easter chick. She was traumatized for a long time but I laughed when she told me her story, too. I really do have a kind heart but these chicken stories just hit my funny bone. My Mom is still afraid of real chickens but like you she decorates with them. Shannon

podso said...

What a story! And beautifully written! I love how you found such creative ways to illustrate it! You put a lot of work into this post and I enjoyed the story so much. I now understand why you have no hens by choice in your house (that is, that you seek, other than given to you). Your experience might give me nightmares!

PS I had a grandpa I was a little afraid of too!

Unknown said...

What a story!! Would make me steer clear of poultry too :)

Blessings!
Gail

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

OMGoodness, what a story!!!! Poor little thing! My hubby was attacked by a rooster a few years ago at his brothers home in Mi.!!! It got it's claws into his leg and it was NOT nice! The chicks you do have are lovely and wonderful family treasures!!!! XO, Pinky

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I am surprised you have any chickens in your house at all! They do look cute in pictures don't they???

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Just loved this homey posting!

Cheers,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your sweet kind words, Pat.
I'm so glad you've enjoyed the party. It has been wonderful.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Some nice little Roo's and a cozily set table...I mean..what could be better...not to mention that lovely old photo.
I was my Granddaddy's girl! I loved my Grandma...but Granddaddy was my favorite person of all time, I think. Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh gracious! After an encounter like that I wouldn't have a hen or a rooster in my house either. Thanks for sharing those you allowed in.

Your tablescape is so sweet. Of course, I love those sunflowers! They just make a table smile.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, how sweet you are and I really appreciate getting to know you and you're a jewel.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Pat ~ I so loved your story but am surprised to see chickens or roosters in your home. That would have done me in for sure. Chuckle!

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

Have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon