The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Going Green. . .Again!!!

Going Green On Crooked Creek takes on yet another meaning.

Green has various meanings. Recycle, reduce and reuse.
Reuse for going green . . . again!


Reusing heirloom pieces from our family gives us great comfort. As I place pieces of my MoMa's and my Mother~in~law's out for us to use, I feel their presence and it gives me comfort in our home on the prairie.

My past post Kitchen Cabinet Going Green! was about changing out the heirloom Narumi Classic Rose Fine China to my present day Bordallo Pinheira Majolica Collection. I placed those items behind the glass doors to give a fresh more updated look On Crooked Creek. It all began with our newly purchased green urns  at the top of the cabinet.



So~o~o. . .
I obviously had to move the silver coffee set and bring out a more seasonal substitute. This time of year, On Crooked Creek, our afternoon drink of choice is  C  O  L  D !!! Temperatures on the prairie can easily soar above 100 degrees on any given day. Hot coffee and hot tea are usually set aside until Fall arrives with all its vibrant splendor.



The wicker tray was acquired when we were stationed in Germany. Since our arrival On Crooked Creek, I used a dry brush technique to give it  French Country appeal. The inside of the tray is decoupaged with Sunflower napkins. Hence forth, reducing the need for buying something new and reusing what I already had.




The strawberry botanical print is a garage sale find for $1! Double matted with a wooden green frame.  At the bottom of the print are the words Fraisier`a Bouquets. P.J. Redoute`(on the left) and Fragaria. Chapuis.(on the right). The glass poppy print pitcher and vintage lemon juicer belonged to my beloved Mother~in~law and were used intensely on the Cantwell Farm in "Mr. Ed's" childhood. I added my cute little bee glasses for a whimsical touch. Faux lemons add a pop of color!                  
                                                                                 
The green and cream linen runner is folded to drape slightly unifying the color scheme throughout the kitchen cabinet. I adore this new look in my French Country themed kitchen On Crooked Creek!


I keep a lamp for ambient lighting and for those rainy, dreary days On Crooked Creek! The wooden jigsaw puzzle, with a bee steep at the bottom and three bees trailing up to a Sunflower at the top, was a gift from my precious daughter~in~law and reads. . . Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadows. The red book titled, Key To A Happy Heart by Chet Stein. . .is authored by "Mr. Ed's" uncle of marriage to his paternal Aunt Elinor. My lifelong friend, Kay presented me with Apples of Gold in the early 1970's. Sunflower cup and saucer are from my beloved Mother~in~laws collection. A faux pot of primrose atop of wrought iron pedestal softens and completes the look.


The Kitchen Cabinet. . . Going Green . . .On Crooked Creek!


Until next time. . .


On Crooked Creek will be joining our gracious hostess Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday. Be sure to stop by for a visit and be inspired for subtle changes in your own home decor.

8 comments:

Kelsie from Our Country Home and Studio Photography said...

It all looks so lovely and you put so much thought into each piece you use...Hope you are staying cool and relaxed on the prairie.

Blessings Kelsie

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady. Your home looks Beautiful !! Im one of your old followers I miss your comments on my Tablescapes ~~ I just put one on for my Wedding Anniversary of 24 years. I hope you have a Great Week.
XXOO Diane

Sue said...

I love the new look of your china cupboard!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Pat, I just love this cabinet and your green inside is so pretty. You've also created such a beautiful vignette on the buffet part of the cabinet. Everything looks so pretty and ready to enjoy a fabulous refreshment. Beautifully done. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Pat...

Ohhh...everything looks sooo pretty and sooo summery, my friend! I remember seeing your beautiful hutch when you changed the china out for your Pinhiero glassware. I love decorating with green for the spring and summer season! It just feels so fresh to me! Love, love, LOVE your new vignette with the tray full of vintage pretties! I think it's perfect!!! Love your new green and cream linens...they really are lovely and they also tie that great green color down onto your hutch top as well! Pat, I have seen those pretty vintage pitchers several times...I just love the bright fruits and flowers that are always painted on them. I'm always drawn to them...guess I need to go ahead and purchase a pitcher and maybe if I'm lucky...a few matching glasses! They really do just sing..."vintage" to me! Hehe! Well dear friend, thank you so much for sharing your new summery vignette with us! I love it!!!

I also wanted to thank you for stopping by the other day and taking a peek at my Tea Rose bedroom! Eeeks...I have been sooo slow at getting around to visit my blogs! I always enjoy our visits and you always brighten my day with your sweet notes, my friend! Thank you!!!

Warmest summery wishes,
Chari

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Pat, this is so pretty! LOVE those bee glasses! I bought some a while back and recently I added a few more to my collection because I just enjoy using them so much. I have hutch envy looking at your beautiful hutch. You're home is so welcoming. Love the little strawberry print in the background.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I love the green! It is wonderful that you have so many family heirlooms! I treasure any that I ahve too!!!! Such a beautiful cabinet, no matter how it is decorated. XO, Pinky

Going Green said...

I think the best way to go green is for all environmentalists to lead by example. But so many special interest groups want us to deplete our lifestyles and tell us that if we question the vitality of global warming, that we're heretics. I'm a Democrat, but I have no interest in destroying our already weak economy to be a 'preservationist’. One easy way to "go green" is to switch to organic cotton. Cotton is the world’s second dirtiest crop, and switching to organic would mean saving 456 million lbs of pesticides a year! Very informative post, thanks for sharing this. We all have to save our mother earth!