The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Wait Is Over . . .

Welcome to On Crooked Creek! Today, I'll be joining our lovely hostess, Susan at Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday. Please be sure to stop over and enjoy all the lovely make-over post for this weeks event. Inspiring ideas await you for use in your own home. http://www.betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/


Back in September On Crooked Creek joined it's first ever Tabletop Tuesday hosted by Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life with my post of Autumn Hues On Tabletops. . . only showing the bottom half of the built~in china hutch. I promised to allow you to see the cabinet in its entirety on another post.


The wait is over. . .

Here's the built~on~site dark walnut cabinet On Crooked Creek that adjoins the dining and living areas together. Bridging the void from the dining~to~living space it was quite a dilema "to paint or not to paint"? "Mr. Ed's" NOT TO PAINT won this round with a bit of coaxing to update the apperance by applying wallpaper to the backing of the shelves!



Already brighter and lighter!

While the countertop of this china hutch cabinet On Crooked Creek is changed out frequently the same is not true for the top! Displaying my cherished collectables and heirlooms, I switch out the contents twice annually; creating a Spring and Fall look.





Spring showcases my extensive Coffee and Tea Set collections combined with some of my decorative Spring dishes.



Fall arrangements showcase our heirlooom crystal and silver collections. Before arriving On Crooked Creek, our silver and crystal were stored out~of~sight in the base of my inherited buffett. Never used ~ never viewed ~ never enjoyed!




A treasured Christmas Past gift from "Mr. Ed".
Two years ago, "Mr. Ed" surprised me with my own copy of Nell Hill's Feather Your Nest It's all in the Details by Mary Carol Garrity! ! ! The inspiration to get that silver out of storage and on the shelves came from pages 74 and 75 of Mary Carol's book. Jean and Denny Lowe used a similar display idea in there 1950's Ranch Style home on a wooded lot by a creek.



Page 75 of Feather Your Nest.


Page 74 of Feather Your Nest.





A top to bottom view. . . 
Left view of  Top Shelf. . .

. . .Right view of Top Shelf.





Left view of Middle Shelf. . .

. . .Right view of Middle Shelf.




Left view of Bottom Shelf. . .


. . .Right view of Bottom Shelf.



Mary Carol's Style. . .



On Crooked Creek Style. . .



Mary Carol Style. . .



On Crooked Creek Style. . .



Shelf ~ by ~ Shelf. . .



from Left. . .

. . .to Right.



From this. . .

To this. . .




Season ~ to ~ Season. . .




As our lives On Crooked Creek begin to get more hurried with the quickly approaching holiday season, it truly is a blessing to check one more seasonal change off my to~do list.

We'll revisit this cabinet again, come Spring.
One thing remains true On Crooked Creek. . .
Seasons change ~ and so do I.

I'm also joining Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for this week's Table Top Tuesday! Come on over and see all the inspirational tabletops for you to enjoy!


Until next time. . .

7 comments:

Martha said...

I like the fall -- the silver is lovely and I, too, like Mary Carol -- her books are truly inspiration! You took her inspiration photos and made a lovely display.

Pam Kessler said...

I usually only keep a few pieces of my silver out on display, but you're making me want to rearrange my china cabinet this afternoon! Looks great.

Atticmag said...

How great that you wanted to display your silver. I love to see that always. You did a great job of realizing your inspiration. Congrats are in order! Jane F

Signing Out said...

I never thought of putting wallpaper inside a cabinet...it looks amazing! Great choice to do that and not to paint. I think I'm going to try this in my china cabinet. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jane

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

How wonderful to have a great built in hutch. It is a perfect spot for all your beautiful treasures!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

YOu chose right and did such a beatiful job. What treasures you have and I love the way you displayed them.
I have Feather YOur Nest too. And it is a wonderful resource.
Great job, and so much inspiration.
Yvonne

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your cabinet and both of your displays are stunning. Your silver is fabulous. Don't you love heirlooms and all the pretty sparkle. So nice to have it handy to use too. You did a wonderful job displaying it. Stunning. Thanks for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty