The simple pleasures of home shine brighter
when the spirit of God intertwines our hearts
with His gentle Joy.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Heart of the Home. . .





Today I'm expressing heartfelt thanks to our sweet hostess Shelia @ Note Songs for extending her invitation to join in the Heart of the Home Party. Instead of donning my apron, I'm donning my curator hat to give you a guided tour of my Galley Style Kitchen On Crooked Creek.

Having left the "dream home" to be close to our son and daughter~in~law in 2002, we also left the spacious County Kitchen behind. For the first three years On Crooked Creek, we spent weekend~after~weekend updating our 1970's Ranch Style Home. Deemed "good bones" and "move~in" condition in today's real estate market, "Mr. Ed" and I considered our home a fixer~upper from the start. Trust me, dear ones, there comes a point where you just wear down (or out) and you have to stop remodeling and just live for a while!

Our galley kitchen came with olive green printed wallpaper, harvest gold appliances, yellow laminate counter tops, gold ceiling mounted light fixtures and butter cream back splash tiles. The dark walnut built~on~site cabinets with heavy Spanish burnished bronze hardware and laminate flooring made this one dark and dreary kitchen.

A complete remodeling of the kitchen was NOT in the budget. We began s l o w l y . . .
new light fixtures, wallpaper, appliances, area rugs, counter tops. Better, but so very dark were those kitchen cabinets. Now, dear ones, "Mr. Ed" loves natural wood, me. . . not so much. . .
So. . .several years ago, on the prairie. . .Fall turned to one of the longest Winters on record.

"Mr. Ed" works for Kansas Department of Transportation and during our harsh Kansas winters I refer to myself as a Winter Widow. With a combination of Parent~Teacher Conferences, Teacher Inservice and one of the largest snowstorms of the season ~ life changed drastically On Crooked Creek. Armed with paint brush, Prep~Rite Bonding Primer and Paperwhite paint all from Sherwin~Williams, I began the labor intense process of revitalizing those dark walnut built~on~site cabinets into a light, yet warm, French Country Kitchen!

North side of the Galley Style Kitchen. . .


. . .South side of the Galley Style Kitchen.




Dining Area off the Kitchen.
Our tiny Galley Style Kitchen measures 8 feet wide ~ by ~10 1/2 feet long. However, the actual walking area is 4 1/2 feet wide! We have an additional 8 feet wide ~ by ~ 11 feet long eating area off to one side. For functionality ( and sanity's sake), I have divided the kitchen counter tops into designated work stations!


Beverage Station.
With two coffee drinkers this is the hardest working station.

Cook Station.
So-o-o- much better than Harvest Gold!


My favorite space!
Snack Area. . .
just right for fixing breakfast & lunch!


My Pear Vignette!
                      

                       What's on top of your refrigerator? ? ?


This vignette is one of my most surprising features in the Kitchen!


Do you remember when bread and cereal boxes were stored on the tops of household refrigerators? ? ?

The Backbone of the Kitchen. . .
the Prep Area!
Dear Ones, this is where all the action takes place !










Warming Station and. . . 


Clean up Station!


Caldrea
Plant derived ingredients,
safe for the environment,
safe for your home and for you!
(http://www.caldrea.com/)


I use Fragrance NO. 14
Basil Blue Sage
All ~ Purpose Cleanser,
Countertop Cleanser, Dish Soap Liquid,
Hand Soap Liquid and Powdered Scrub.

These are a few of the interesting design elements that not only make our kitchen On Crooked Creek functional, but inviting, as well!



Menu Board

Message Center

"Mr. Ed's" Childhood Stool.

Function over form!

The plate rack still houses the dark walnut stain. . .
blending all the woodwork between kitchen and dining!
When I saw the bi-fold doors off the dining area, I had visions of a huge kitchen pantry On Crooked Creek. Instead, I got a laundry room in a closet. With each additional birthday I am more and more grateful for a main floor laundry!

"Mr. Ed" removed the dark walnut cabinets and bought in stock box cabinets @Lowe's, added a closet rod between for hanging laundry fresh from the dryer and had Sherwin ~ Williams match the paint to our wallpaper background.


Newly installed cabinetry in our laundry room.







Above the cabinets rest an era of laundry past. An appropriate heritage display On Crooked Creek is an assemblage of inherited washboards from my mother~in~law, Mary. Galvanized pitchers, vintage enameled white pail rimmed in red, antique cast iron irons and sprinkle bottle complete with wooden clothespins for washing and drying clothes the old fashioned way.

During our down time On Crooked Creek, we attend our area home builders annual Spring and Fall Parade of Homes Tour in hopes of finding the "perfect home". But. . .
as we turn into our cul~de~sac we are met with our warm, welcoming neighborhood. . .
children playing, smiling familiar faces and waves of friendship. Homes are being built nearly everday in our growing community ~ but a neighborhood~ that's something money just can't buy!

Until next time. . .

18 comments:

Allison Shops said...

I enjoyed seeing the details of your kitchen. It's a warm space. Stopping by from Note Song's party. I hope you'll drop by Atticmag to see our kitchens - it's a three for one!

Allison
Atticmag

Olive said...

Pat, one of my friends had a galley kitchen and I always felt it to be a very efficient kitchen to cook in. I love the color of your walls. You are very organized and I am sure the space sort of forces that. Sometimes the more space I have the more wasteful I can be with it. Our current kitchen is small and I am learning to edit everything. Thanks for inspiring me to make work stations.

Unknown said...

Beautifully decorate Pat, warm, inviting & I love your white cabinets.

Have a beautiful eve ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

bj said...

Your kitchen is very pretty and I LOVE the painted cabinets.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

This is the cutest kitchen tour I have seen! Cozy, functional inviting and lovely! The cabinets turned out great and the many vignettes are perfect. You have done a fine job!

ahh... harvest gold... right up there with avocado green and burnt orange :) I remember!

Sue said...

Hi Pat,

Enjoyed my visit today. You have a lovely kitchen.

Susan

Unknown said...

What a great country kitchen! I love all your collectibles and that red wallpaper is gorgeous!
~Liz

Martha said...

You did wonders with that kitchen -- love your wall treatment with those white cabinets and love the fact that you have separated your small kitchen into "stations". Take what you have and make it better -- you certainly have done that! A very pretty kitchen!

SmilingSally said...

Hi Pat,

I love your kitchen, especially the fact that it's no longer avocado green and harvest gold--UGH--I remember those days!

We moved to be close to our son and daughter-in-law too!

Check out my book giveaways.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! I've love my tour of your lovely kitchen! Doesn't white paint make a world of difference? Love white cabinets. Your wallpaper is so pretty too and I love red! You seem to be very organized and neat - you have a place for everything! Love your plates resting upon the ledge! Thank you so much, Pat, for coming to my party.
You are a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

So lovely kitchen full of pretty details, love your cute message center!

Hugs
Charo

Kim said...

Omigosh I absolutely love your kitchen. It's so warm and inviting. I love all of your sweet touches.
xoxo,
Kim

Lisa said...

What a wonderful transformation! Thank goodness for snow days! LOL! I love all the pretty country French touches in your sweet kitchen.:)

Adrienne said...

I love your kitchen! And the story of making it your own. I identify with what you did - we bought a late 60's-style ranch that desperately needed to be updated. We have slowly worked at it and there is a bit more to do. Your kitchen inspired me to finish a few things in mine so I can share it with the world! Thank you for sharing your home - and your story - with us.
~Adrienne~

Nanette said...

Your kitchen has turned out very nice. I like the colors you have chosen and all your added touches. The little stool is just so sweet!
Valerie

Janean said...

neighborhood: if you love it, then it's worth more than $$$ can buy, huh?

we had a galley kitchen once and it was a great, hardworking kitchen.

adore your laundry area!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat! Oh, I'm just thrilled you enjoyed my party! I have had the best time looking at all of the kitchens! Yours is just wonderful! We may have to do this again next year!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Donna said...

Hi, Pat,
What a lovely kitchen you have. Everything looks so neat and pulled together. I love your sink area.
D